Have you ever felt nervous about an audition before? Or perhaps, this is your first audition and the nerves are almost too much to bear? Well, at YMT we take extra care to ensure that our audition process is cultivated in a welcoming and encouraging environment. Our inclusive workshop style auditions ensure that all ages and all experience levels feel comfortable and welcome in order to ensure the best possible performance from our young performers.
Below is a testimonial from a past participant, 13 year old Nico Shaw, about his audition experience with YMT
“When I got into the audition room there were about 20 teenagers, boys and girls, all with the same uneasy expression on their faces.
The examiners were not what I was expecting; I thought they would be sternly watching for our every mistake and making our nerves even worse, but instead, they were friendly people who smiled and helped us to relax.
We started off with some dancing, it was good fun, and it helped that all of the teachers came round and suggested things that might help us improve.
Next was singing, the teachers sometimes stopped us to tell us to do something differently but they managed to do it in a way which did not make you feel they were being critical. The atmosphere was encouraging and I felt that they just wanted us to do well, I began to relax and was able to do my best.
The final stage of the audition was the acting part. This was amazing: we acted out our pieces and then everyone joined in making it feel like real life; the audition room melted away and we were all absorbed into each-others work.
I would like to say a massive thanks to the teachers who stopped me from feeling nervous and made my Youth Music Theatre UK Audition an unforgettable experience.”
After his YMT audition, Nico went on to be cast in one of our summer shows, Cautionary Tales. Don’t let nerves keep you from auditioning with YMT, take the leap and book your audition slot now. You never know where it could take you.
To book your audition space, and find out if YMT is coming to your town, visit our website here! Hurry, spaces are filling quickly!
Picking the right monologue for an audition can often be stressful and nerve wracking, especially when you don’t know where to start. To ease some of the stress YMT has collected a few tips on how to pick a good monologue for yourself so you’ll be ready to dazzle the audition team come your audition day!
1. Make sure the monologue gives your audience a story- your monologue should be dynamic, and one that takes your audience on a journey. What you don’t want is a monologue where your character drones on about the same thing for 2 minutes.
2. Avoid well known Movie or TV monologues-you will end up being compared to the actor/actress who made it famous, and you want the casting director to see you as an individual. For a sure fire way to ace your audition, pick a monologue with a character you feel like you can put your own personal touch on.
3. Discover one that makes you look like a winner- What are your strengths and weaknesses when performing? Are you more of a serious actor? Comedic? Discover your strengths and make sure you choose a monologue that caters to them.
4. Read the play that your monologue is from- Reading the play will give you MUCH more insight about what your character is going through at any given point in time. Additionally you never know if the casting director will ask you questions about the play you’re reading from.
5. Pick something you enjoy performing- Don’t just pick the first monologue you find when you flip open a monologue book, spend time reading plays and finding material that you are excited about. If you’re passionate about the material you’ll be more willing to me memorize your lines and rehearse more often. Also, a director can tell if you’re having a good time or not, being excited about your performance will really come out in the audition room.
We hope these tips have eased you mind about choosing your audition material. For precise guidelines about what style/how long your monologue should be please visit our website here. While you’re there, sign up for our auditions coming up this January, we would love to see you there!
For the launch of YMT's National Auditions 2019, we're giving away a FREE pair of auditions for you and a friend in an Instagram Giveaway! Come and try out YMT’s immersive Audition Workshop – and reach for the stars!
In Jan & Feb, we are visiting 23 cities across the UK and Ireland in search of talented 11-21 year olds to take part in our spectacular season of productions in summer 2019. YMT Auditions are group workshops led by a professional Theatre Director, Musical Director, and Choreographer, who are searching for the stars of tomorrow.
To entre, head on over to out Instagram @ymtuk (https://bit.ly/2zNj9yt) and follow the steps below.
1. Follow our page @ymtuk and like the giveaway post
2. Comment and Tag your musical theatre bestie in the coments
***For an extra entry: Repost on your Instagram page, captioning #YMTAuditionGiveaway.
3. Check out the Terms & Conditions here.
- Entries must be received by Monday 15th October at 11:59 PM.
- There is one prize to be won – a pair of audition slots in the same audition workshop, for you and a friend, in one of the 23 audition cities which YMT is touring to in Jan & Feb 2019. Winning this competition does not cover any fees associated with taking part in a 2019 YMT summer show, should you or your friend be successful at getting a place in the company after the free audition workshop. The prize is non-refundable, non-transferable and non-exchangeable and there is no cash alternative offered.
-The winning pair will be selected at random, messaged and announced within a week of the closing date.
-This giveaway is not affiliated or sponsored by Instagram in any way.
YMT has just wrapped up it’s 2018 Summer season and that means that hundreds of young actors have finished the summer of a lifetime! Over the course of just a few months young performers from all over the country gathered to create critically acclaimed and unique pieces of theatre, varying from well known works like Shakespeare's “Winters Tale” to new and devised pieces such as “Wild,” where students were involved in creating original this original piece of theatre from start to finish. Take a look at what one actresses tweeted about her time working on the piece "Wild" this summer with YMT.
"Just finished an amazing two week course at @ymtuk performing our devised piece of WILD #YMTWILD with an incredibly talented all womens cast and an amazing creative team. I have made some amazing friends and learnt loads of new skils it's heart breaking to realise it's over"
During their time with YMT students receive training from the industry's top professionals that allows them learn and improve their performance technique. Additionally, students were encouraged to branch out and cultivate a strong sense of creativity and community when working on the shows. Students often leave us with many new skills they can apply to their future professional careers and even more new friends that they’ll have for a lifetime. See what these students had to say about working with the actors and creative team on “Barrack Room Ballads” this past August.
@EmilyGraceActor tweeted "#barrackroomballads has been the expierence of a lifetime and I cannot thank the creative team and cast enough. I have developed not only with skill but as a person too and I cannot wait fort eh future. You're all stars and I love you all millions. Thank you @ymtuk"
@maddieematthews also added "@tmtuk never fails to be an incredible expierence. learnt so much and have met and worked with the most wonderful talented people, beyond greatful x #YMTBarrackRoomBallads @NAM_London"
“Barrack Room Ballads” was called “an impressive, quite original theatrical idea which sits conceptually, and very thoughtfully, somewhere between Cats and Oh” by the Musical Theatre Review.
Do you or someone you know what to get involved in a YMT production and spend your next summer with fellow theatre enthusiasts and professionals ? Reserve your spot now to come to one of our national auditions beginning in 2019 and earn your place in one of our many companies. Find your nearest audition venue HERE - BOOK TODAY!
Is performing not your thing? We're also looking for musicians and young people interested in technical & stage management - find more information on our Backstage Courses and Creative Trainee Schemes.
SEVEN full-scale shows within SEVEN weeks. Led by different industry-renowned creative teams. Taking place at multiple professional perfroming spaces and theatres across the UK. Performed by the young and outstanding talent of tomorrow. And over 5000 tickets sold! This is Youth Music Theatre UK's Summer Season 2018 wrapped up!
This weekend saw the close of our final show of the summer, A Winter's Tale, at the Rose Theatre Kingston. In celebration and reflection of the wonderful season we've had, we've chosen some pictures and review highlights to share with you all!
26 - 29 July, Lyric Theatre Belfast
'West End transfer shouldn’t be out of the question for Paperboy' (Irish News).
'There is a line a minute to bring a smile to your face' (Culture Hub).
'Charming and Imaginative' (The Stage).
Help! Get Me Out of This Musical
10 - 12 August, South Hill Park Arts Centre
'[The cast of] HELP! Get Me Out of This Musical...Nicholson describes in his programme note as “disgustingly talented”. On the strength of this impressive performance, I am inclined to agree' (Musical Theatre Review).
11 - 12 August, Barbican Theatre Plymouth
No Man's Land (Dance Connection 4)
18 - 19 August, Halifax Square Chapel
'The cast has to be absolutely committed to the drama to be convincing, and they are – in spades' (Musical Theatre Review).
24 - 25 August, Barbican Theatre Plymouth
Barrack Room Ballads
24 - 26 August, The National Army Museum
'It’s an impressive, quite original theatrical idea which sits conceptually, and very thoughtfully, somewhere between Cats and Oh, What a Lovely War! Well done, Youth Music Theatre UK' (Musical Theatre Review).
A Winter's Tale
30 Aug - 2 Sep, Rose Theatre Kingston