Wizard of Oz
Ankh-Morpork, the Discworld’s most notorious town is steeped in decadent squalor, with a corrosive aroma that would put most landfills to shame.
This is the setting of YMT’s stage adaptation of Terry Pratchett’s side-splitting novel, Soul Music. The town is the prime destination on the Disc, where many intrepid explorers go to seek fame and other people’s fortunes.
Enter Imp Y Celyn (literally translated ‘bud of the holly’) and his ensemble ‘The Band with Rocks In’ who begin taking the city by sonic storm. Soon a host of new bands spring up:
• We're Certainly Dwarfs (They Might Be Giants)
• The Whom (The Who)
• Lead Balloon (Led Zeppelin)
• Insanity (Madness)
• The Surreptitious Fabric (The Velvet Underground)
The city reverberates with the sound of tortured strings and the smashing of Stratocasters.
In tribute to Pratchett’s infamous Ankh-Morpork, YMT helps you decide which musical town is right for you. Leave behind the rain and rising rent; move to a city where there’s music in the air.
The smoke blackened spires of a grim Victorian London where murderous butchers and bakers stalk the streets.
• Gothic ambience
• Several specialist eateries
• Good standards of grooming amongst remaining city residents
• Cat abductions on the rise
• High rate of shaving related deaths
• Not suitable for vegetarians
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
A small snow clad town encircling a mysterious factory; a sweet scent hangs in the air promising hidden delights behind firmly locked gates.
• Rapidly expanding confection industry
• Generous employers
• Everlasting gobstoppers
• Industrial candy floss fogs
• Oompa Loompa stag parties
• Absurd dentistry bills
Prohibition era America. A city awash with bootleg booze, controlled by sparring mobsters with a penchant for pie.
• Classy speakeasies
• Discounted pies
• Mob wars
• High dry cleaning bills
• Not suitable for lactose intolerant residents
A glamorous metropolis where fame, fornication and murder go hand in hand.
• Stylish prison inmates
• Killer cabarets
• You’re only ever one shot away from stardom
• Murderous lovers
• Corrupt courtrooms
• Another captivating killing might lose you your limelight
The Wizard of Oz
An enchanted land filled to the brim with technicolor characters and strange, fantastical creatures.
• Well-maintained highways
• Excellent standard of hygiene (courtesy of munchkin spa)
• You’re the tallest person in town
• Evil witches
• Farmhouse related injuries
• Flying monkey infestations
It’s a difficult decision, so before you make the move come visit YMT in musical Ankh-Morpork this August!
Thursday, 28 August 2014 - 7:30pm to Sunday, 31 August 2014 - 7:30pm
Rose Theatre Kingston