Picking the right monologue for an audition can often be stressful and nerve wracking, especially when you don’t know where to start. To ease some of the stress YMT has collected a few tips on how to pick a good monologue for yourself so you’ll be ready to dazzle the audition team come your audition day!
1. Make sure the monologue gives your audience a story- your monologue should be dynamic, and one that takes your audience on a journey. What you don’t want is a monologue where your character drones on about the same thing for 2 minutes.
2. Avoid well known Movie or TV monologues-you will end up being compared to the actor/actress who made it famous, and you want the casting director to see you as an individual. For a sure fire way to ace your audition, pick a monologue with a character you feel like you can put your own personal touch on.
3. Discover one that makes you look like a winner- What are your strengths and weaknesses when performing? Are you more of a serious actor? Comedic? Discover your strengths and make sure you choose a monologue that caters to them.
4. Read the play that your monologue is from- Reading the play will give you MUCH more insight about what your character is going through at any given point in time. Additionally you never know if the casting director will ask you questions about the play you’re reading from.
5. Pick something you enjoy performing- Don’t just pick the first monologue you find when you flip open a monologue book, spend time reading plays and finding material that you are excited about. If you’re passionate about the material you’ll be more willing to me memorize your lines and rehearse more often. Also, a director can tell if you’re having a good time or not, being excited about your performance will really come out in the audition room.
We hope these tips have eased you mind about choosing your audition material. For precise guidelines about what style/how long your monologue should be please visit our website here. While you’re there, sign up for our auditions coming up this January, we would love to see you there!
For the launch of YMT's National Auditions 2019, we're giving away a FREE pair of auditions for you and a friend in an Instagram Giveaway! Come and try out YMT’s immersive Audition Workshop – and reach for the stars!
In Jan & Feb, we are visiting 23 cities across the UK and Ireland in search of talented 11-21 year olds to take part in our spectacular season of productions in summer 2019. YMT Auditions are group workshops led by a professional Theatre Director, Musical Director, and Choreographer, who are searching for the stars of tomorrow.
To entre, head on over to out Instagram @ymtuk (https://bit.ly/2zNj9yt) and follow the steps below.
1. Follow our page @ymtuk and like the giveaway post
2. Comment and Tag your musical theatre bestie in the coments
***For an extra entry: Repost on your Instagram page, captioning #YMTAuditionGiveaway.
3. Check out the Terms & Conditions here.
- Entries must be received by Monday 15th October at 11:59 PM.
- There is one prize to be won – a pair of audition slots in the same audition workshop, for you and a friend, in one of the 23 audition cities which YMT is touring to in Jan & Feb 2019. Winning this competition does not cover any fees associated with taking part in a 2019 YMT summer show, should you or your friend be successful at getting a place in the company after the free audition workshop. The prize is non-refundable, non-transferable and non-exchangeable and there is no cash alternative offered.
-The winning pair will be selected at random, messaged and announced within a week of the closing date.
-This giveaway is not affiliated or sponsored by Instagram in any way.