About UsClick the links to jump to section
Youth Music Theatre UK (or YMT) is the leading music theatre company for young people aged 11-21.
DOWNLOAD OUR COMPANY BROCHURE
YMT is a national performing arts company that specialises in creating brand new music theatre. We work across the UK and Ireland with leading industry professionals to offer unique opportunities and high-quality training to young singers, actors, dancers and musicians as well as emerging artists and stage technicians.
As an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation, YMT is a youth theatre like no other putting young people at the centre of the creative process to produce vibrant, innovative and original works in some of the UK's top venues and festivals. We work with people aged 11-21 from any and every background and our courses offer significant personal and educational benefits: developing self-esteem as well as improving communication and team-work skills whilst working in a professional environment.
YMT bridges the gap between local/regional drama groups and formal training at drama school/conservatoire. Since 2003 we have trained over 8,000 young people, many of whom have successfully entered the creative industries such as Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Lauren Samuels, Charlotte Ritchie, Jack Bence, Lucy Griffiths and many more. We've also created over 60 brand new musicals, including Loserville the Musical, which went on to be produced professionally at the West Yorkshire Playhouse and in the West End and was nominated for ‘Best New Musical’ at the Olivier, Whatsonstage and BroadwayWorldUK awards!
Creativity is at the heart of our work and we receive support from Arts Council England as a strategic arts organisation to develope new music theatre. Each year we create at least EIGHT brand new full-scale productions across the UK and Ireland with over 300 young people - the YMT Company.
We pride ourselves on working with some of the most exciting and respected theatre practitioners in the industry, drawing on a wealth of experience from commercial West End theatre, the National Theatre, the RSC, regional repertory, experimental and fringe theatre. Our young people are heavily involved in the creative process and we define 'music theatre' incredibly widely allowing us to explore everything from chamber opera to dubstep, pop/rock to folk, from Greek myth to contemporary politics, from physical theatre to actor-musicianship.
You can view our 2016 Summer Season under the 'Shows' tab or click here.
- Summer Productions - the YMT Company: these are two/three-week residential courses that take place across the UK during the summer holidays with young people drawn from our National Auditions tour.
- Summer Camp Courses: week-long open access courses to develop acting, singing and dancing.
- Backstage Courses: training opportunities for young people interested in working backstage
- Creative Trainee Scheme: opportunities for emerging artists on professionally-staged productions
- Outreach: our work in schools to offer even more performing arts opportunities
Most of our work, except our Outreach work, is residential. This means all the young people, along with the Artistic, Pastoral and Technical Teams live and work away from home in an intensive, creative environment. Accommodation is in universities or boarding schools all over the UK and we have a wonderful and experienced Pastoral Team who look after everybody. You can visit our parents page for further details and to view our pastoral and child protection policies. All participants and staff receive a comprehensive Guide to YMT when they join the company.
Over the next ten years we hope to build on all we’ve achieved so far:
- We have trained over 8,000 young people, and our alumni have gone on to have success in a wide range of careers, with many currently working in the West End, regional theatre, music industry, television and film
- We have devised and commissioned over 100 pieces of new music theatre, with more than 60 world premieres performed at top theatre venues across the UK.
- All our courses are now assessed by Trinity College London, so participants receive a certificate in Music Theatre in Production at Grade 8 (Summer Productions) and Grade 6 (Summer Skills Courses) benchmarking our work against the Qualifications and Credit Framework
- We are committed to offering opportunities to young people from any and every background and continue to fundraise for our Bursary Scheme to encourage the widest intake of young people from a range of backgrounds
- We are developing our Outreach programme in schools to offer even more performing arts opportunities to young people
- We have a long standing relationship with the UK’s largest teaching union, the NASUWT, who are our principal sponsors, and we rely on our other supporters to fund our work, to whom we are extremely grateful
We hope that you will join us on that journey, whether as a performer, a creative practitioner, a parent, a friend, an audience member or a supporter.
Welcome to YMT!